Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rest in Peace Father Mena

He passed away this morning in Spain. He was the last of the original Jesuits if I'm not mistaken. He was probably my favorite priest. He was jolly and always full of energy. My most memorable encounter with him was when he called me to his office a week before Days With The Lord. He knew I was agnostic (now atheist) and he talked to me whether I wanted to attend DWTL or not. He advised me to go with an empty cup, and that I did. Although Days did not accomplish its intended purpose on me, that brief meeting with Fr. Mena was probably what made me attend with an open mind. My Days experience would have been totally different had he not talked to me that week.

He's done so much for Xavier. I'm not sure if Xavier still has more buildings to name after him, but he deserves one (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he has one yet). Surely the new Xavier in Alabang will have some buildings named after him at the very least. But it would have been more appropriate if it was in our Xavier.

Life really is too short. But it's up to us how to live it to the fullest, making as much difference as we can. Father Mena is someone who made a difference in a lot of people's lives. That alone is a life worth emulating. May he live forever in our hearts and memories, a beacon of light, shining brightly 'til the journey's end.

1 comment:

Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

I'll be in ICA Friday afternoon. You want me to attend the mass for him at Xavier on your behalf?